If you enjoy music, NPR Music will distract you not just for the remainder of this weekend, but for many many days to come.
The app is free, and the opportunity to explore new music is, well, priceless.
With NPR Music you can explore all kinds of music. Stick to the genre you enjoy, or stretch yourself to experience new territory.
Genres are lined up across the top of the page:
Rock, Jazz, Classical, Hip-Hop/R&B, Folk, World, Electronic/Dance
Just looking at the above screen shot should give you an idea of the depth of the app. Click on any genre and you are given videos, articles, music and more. Notice the Radio area at the bottom left. This too will sort by genre. The app is a wonderful way to learn about new music and broaden your experiences with the genre you enjoy.
The app works splendidly on both the iPhone and the iPad.
From the official app description:
* Highlights of the iPhone app:
– Multi-genre music content, with news, music streams, live concerts and interviews.
– Live music streams from more than 100 public radio stations. Browse by genre and set favorites.
– Signature programs and popular series such as First Listen, All Songs Considered, Tiny Desk Concerts, World Cafe and Marian McPartland’s Piano Jazz.
– A searchable artist directory of more than 5,000 bands, musicians and singers, including performances, interviews and reviews from the NPR Music archives.
– Customizable playlist.
* Highlights of the iPad app:
– Stunning magazine layout lets you visually browse and easily filter content.
– Stream your favorite music stations and discover new ones.
– Live video streaming of NPR Music concerts and festival coverage.
– Story pages provide rich editorial content.
– “Related Stories” offers additional content you might like.
– Enhanced playlist features:
* Ability to save your playlist items for offline listening.
* Groundbreaking visual design.
* Our “Recommended For You” section suggests other stories based on what’s in your playlist.
* Opt-in feature suggests NPR Music stories based on artists in your iTunes Library.