I know that many of my readers are HUGE Paperwhite fans (me, too!!!).
Honestly, I could not imagine how it would be possible to improve that device. It seems darn near perfect.
And yet, as technology moves forward, so do the devices, and Amazon has now ramped up their Paperwhite to a new level, and they are calling this NEW eReader the Kindle Voyage.
So how did they improve ‘perfect’?
1. It’s THINNER.
2. TWICE as many pixels as the Paperwhite, making the text super-crisp.
3. Added tapping sensors on the edge so that you can gently press to turn a page.
like love this. I missed my buttons.) You can still turn the page with finger swipes.
4. Automatic light sensors will adjust the light according to the light in the room. It will gradually decrease in a dark room, as your eyes adjust to the dimmer light.
5. General re-design, including a flush-front.
Wifi only, with special offers, costs $199. Removing the special offers hikes the price to $219. (I have the “special offers” appearing on my Paperwhite, and it really doesn’t bother me at all.)
I thought long and hard about this, because I really love my Paperwhite. I did not feel the need to level-up ……. UNTIL I saw that page-turning sensor. That is the one thing I have always missed on the Paperwhite. I am a bed-reader, and when you are comfortably reclining on your side, holding the kindle with one hand, it can be awkward and inconvenient to try and swipe the pages. It’s a nightly struggle to position the Paperwhite just right, and usually I don’t. I missed the old Kindle buttons on the earlier models.
And so I am going to try it. Amazon’s generous return policy makes this a no-brainer for me, because if I don’t like it, I can easily return it. No harm, no foul.
To my surprise, MANY people must be ordering this, because when I tapped the “buy” button on Friday (just a short time after the quiet launch) …. I was told that I won’t be receiving my Kindle Voyage until NOVEMBER 28! :shock: (when it first went on sale, the shipping date was in October!). Wow. I guess the market is strong for this new eReader.
Amazon has also released 4 other products.
1. A Fire HD tablet for only $99. Cheapest tablet available.
2. Fire HD KIDS Edition. “If they break it, we replace it. No questions asked.” If there are Kids in your life, this is worth a closer look.
3. FireHDX 8.9 Big improvements to this tablet.
4. Basic Kindle. Touch screen. No light, but lots of other features. $79
For further information on all of these products, just go to Amazon. They are all displayed on their home page with links to more details.